Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Western ND Reefs

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

I've been working on updating the site to better show the pictures,so the coloring has changed. LMK if you have any requests to the site.-Dwolson2

DIY Drilling a Glass Tank

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
dwolson2
dwolson2

DIY Drilling a Glass Tank Empty
PostSubject: DIY Drilling a Glass Tank   DIY Drilling a Glass Tank EmptyTue Mar 26, 2013 1:22 pm

!!WARNING YOU CAN CRACK OR DESTROY YOUR TANK BY ATTEMPTING TO DRILL IT!! I hold No liability if you screw your tank up
!!! YOU CAN NOT DRILL A TEMPERRED GLASS TANK!!(many 55 gal sides are tempered)
What you need:
Drill
Glass cutting drill bit
Tape
Bucket (2 if possible)
Garden hose with water supply

First off mark your holes. I have been told you must be at least the size of the hole away from the edge of the glass. Here we used a sharpie to mark my tank:
DIY Drilling a Glass Tank 2011-10-02121515
Put tape on the back side of the hole, this prevents the glass from falling into the tank possibly breaking the glass, however at the same time you have to be careful that the drill bit doesn't go through the tape:
DIY Drilling a Glass Tank 2011-10-02122658
The 75 gallon was big enough that we were able to put a 5 gal bucket under the hole, in case the tape fails or we drilled through it. If you can't get something like that to catch the drilled glass disk, you can alway but a folded towel directly under it to catch it.

Get your drill, drill bit, and water hose.
DIY Drilling a Glass Tank 2011-10-02121723
DIY Drilling a Glass Tank 2011-10-02121735
I put the chord and plug of the drill into a bucket to prevent the plug from getting wet and lowering my chances of electrocuting myself. As an added bonus, I made sure that the drill was plugged into a GFCI plug, **which is highly recommended**.
DIY Drilling a Glass Tank 2011-10-02121636
Start drilling:
Throughout drilling make sure there is enough water to rinse off all the glass dust, this prevents the glass dust from entering your lungs and it keeps the diamond tipped drill bit cool and sharp, we regulated the water flow to about a half gallon a minute. Also do not apply too much pressure to the bit! Allow the drill bit to do its job. Pay particular attention when you get close to the end. The more you press down the higher the risk of chipping the inside glass or even worse breaking the glass.

Line up the mark with the edge of the bit and score the glass. VERY SLOW SPEEDS!
Hint, it will be easier to score on a portion of the bit surface (i.e. hold the drill at an angle so only part of the bit touches)
Square the bit and once you have a good groove you can speed it up a bit.
Click on the picture below to watch the video:
DIY Drilling a Glass Tank Th_VID_20111002_122240
As mentioned, when you near the end of the hole make sure you are barely putting pressure on the bit. When it’s done it should look like this:
DIY Drilling a Glass Tank 2011-10-02123837

Back to top Go down
jefferzbooboo

PostSubject: Re: DIY Drilling a Glass Tank   DIY Drilling a Glass Tank EmptyTue Jan 07, 2014 9:40 pm

Would you be willing to drill a tank for me? I'm thinking of taking the plunge into a tank with a sump. I plan on using a 33L.
Back to top Go down
dwolson2
dwolson2

PostSubject: Re: DIY Drilling a Glass Tank   DIY Drilling a Glass Tank EmptyFri Jan 10, 2014 1:42 pm

I can, but as long as you don't hold me responsible;)
Back to top Go down
sisterlimonpot
sisterlimonpot

PostSubject: Re: DIY Drilling a Glass Tank   DIY Drilling a Glass Tank EmptySat Jan 11, 2014 2:05 pm

There's very little risk here as long as you go slow and keep the drill bit cool. However there's that small chance that the glass can crack, and if I were doing it for someone I'd make darn sure they understood the risk and know that they can't hold me accountable.
Back to top Go down
jefferzbooboo

PostSubject: Re: DIY Drilling a Glass Tank   DIY Drilling a Glass Tank EmptySat Jan 11, 2014 6:41 pm

I understand the risk, but I'm willing to take it. I might need help with baffles for the sump also, I picked up a 20l today.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DIY Drilling a Glass Tank   DIY Drilling a Glass Tank Empty

Back to top Go down

DIY Drilling a Glass Tank
Page 1 of 1